Tuesday, May 11, 2004

5/11/04 this and that

Tuesday, May 11, 2004
this and that

Thought is was about time that I updated this journal. I've been pretty busy since last week, as my dad fell a week ago today, and suffered 3 compression fractures in his low back, 2 of which are greater than 50%. My mom is limited in how much help she can offer him, as she is post polio, and is now almost 75% wheelchair confined. She can walk on 2 crutches short distances in the house, but she is still recovering from rotator cuff surgery she had in the fall of last year. Saturday morning I went to mom's to take her grocery shopping and a trip to Sam's Club. My sis and brother/law came in and helped to clean the house and yard, as well as my niece D, her husband and 2 kids. It was decided when we got daddy home from the ER on Wed. nite that Mother's day would be at their house this year. I had decided that mom and daddy needed a combination Mother's/Father's Day gift, and my sis and I decided to get them the stove and microwave that they have needed to get, but kept putting off. Of course we got the "you shouln't have spent that much money on us" and my comeback was "think of it as an investment. when you are both gone, it will only add to the value of the house!" I did get a call Monday evening from my mom, "do you know how I am supposed to run this microwave. it won't do what the instructions tell me to do." Well, got her thru that crisis, and she was able to heat some leftovers for dinner that night.

Saturday would have been Bob's 56th birthday. My niece remembered, and as we sat around the dinner table we all were telling stories about Bob and how he did this or that, what made him unique in each of our lives when my sister's cell phone rang. It was a call from my cell phone which was in my purse, on the back of the chair I was sitting in. I couldn't believe it, but when I pulled the phone out, sure enough it was connected to hers. I locked the keys and put the phone back into my purse, and then about 30 mins later, another call to her cell phone from mine, sure enough the keys were still locked but the connection was there. My sister and niece are convinced that Bob was somehow involved...maybe he was, I will never know for sure.

S is having some difficulties with her thyroid, so she had an appointment with her Doctor today. Her friend, E took her for the visit. I haven't talked to her tonight, so not sure what all went on there. S has been doing so well lately. Mentally she is right on target. She is eating now, soft foods, and is able to drink thickened liquids. Every once in a while, she will have a soda, or glass of water, but generally she is following the rules. If she keeps this up we can look into getting the feeding tube pulled later this summer. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

I have decided to quit watching the news. Between the war, Iraqi prisoner abuse at Abu Ghraib, and then the local "man's inhumanity to man" reports, I have had enough. Tonight on the news, a mother pleads guilty to killing her 3 babies and folding their bodies in a sofa bed and leaving town. They have been there at least 3 days now. She and her husband are in a difficult divorce and child custody issue, and her only way out was to murder her babies? What is wrong with this picture? Then also today, a report of a behedding of an American in Iraq in retaliation to the abuse of prisoners by American servicemen. Earlier this past week, we had 2 deputy sheriffs shot in a home invasion/hostage situation. One of the bad guys was killed instantly, one is essentially brain dead, and the other is in custody charged with attempted murder, kidnapping, etc. The two deputies are at home now recovering from their wounds. Well to finish the story off, today the Mother, who was being kidnapped, turned herself into the police. Seems that when the whole thing came down, there were huge ammounts of pot, and other drugs, guns and cash in the home, and that is what the 3 bad guys were after. She and her husband apparently had dealings with these three guys. She is now being held at the same jail as one of her abductors on $250,000 bail. What is this world coming to? I have a sign over my desk where I sit and write on this computer. At times it means more to me than others. Today, it is difficult to believe, but I have faith that it is the truth.

"The darker things become, the more God shines!"

I am waiting for God to shine.



lab2401 at 11:49:00 PM EDT Link to this entry
This entry has 2 comments: (Add your own)
Well, though this entry reported some gloomy stuff-- look at your whimsical graphics! (duly stolen, of course!) I needed that bubble-blowing one to illustrate a horoscope I just loved the other day! And speaking of graphics, I THINK the pictures are back in ku=blog. Picture of 1-year old Bob is adorable!
heart,
~~mumsy
Comment from merelyp - 5/18/04 1:41 AM

I`m so sorry for your parents...My prayers are with them.
Vince
Comment from deabvt - 5/14/04 8:51 AM

No comments: