Saturday, May 08, 2004

5/8/04 homework #4

Saturday, May 8, 2004
homework #4

From John Scalzi:: Weekend Assignment #4: Share the most memorable birthday present you've ever gotten -- or given (extra credit for both).

Note that the operative word here is "memorable" -- it doesn't have to be the best present you've ever gotten or given, or the worst, just the one you remember the most vibrantly. I think that opens the field a bit.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Most Memorable Gift Received:
One of the most memorable gifts I ever received was in 1965. My great gandmother had passed away June 2, and my parents had gone up to Conneticut to her funeral, and to see the family. My birthday was fast approaching, and I feared that they would forget it in the more pressing things that were going on. They returned home on the 11th, and I didn't see anything large enough set aside for my gift in the car. I had wanted a guitar, and had hinted for it since shortly before Christmas. The next morning was my birthday, and when I awoke, there was my guitar leaning against my bed with a big red bow on it. My mom and dad were standing at the door to my room, and began singing "Happy Birthday" to me. I will never forget how I felt at that point. (They had bought the guitar way earlier and had hid it at the neighbors house for safe keeping. They knew what they were doing, as I had searched our house top to bottom looking for my gift while they were gone.)

Most Memorable Gift Given:
I think the best gift I ever gave was when I bought Bob the Mag Wheels he was wanting for his 1967 Ford Galaxy 500. He couldn't justify spending the money on the wheels, and had bought some nice looking hubcaps for it instead. After all he had replaced the motor, and had painted it black lacquer just that year. But I had been saving my change since his birthday the past year (83), and would take it every month and put it in a savings account. When his birthday came around that next year in 1984, I had enough to buy them without taking anything out of the checking account, and even had enough to pay to have them installed. I put them on the driveway where he would normally park, so when he came in from work, they were the first thing he saw. The look of total surprise and wonder was worth every cent that they took.


when originally bought Nov. 1978

Just after paint and motor job Aug 1983 (can't find a decent picture of the mags yet)



lab2401 at 12:07:00 AM EDT Link to this entry
This entry has 1 comments: (Add your own)
    ku-ul!

    ~~hai'leigh
    Comment from haikulike - 5/9/04 12:07 PM

No comments: