Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Brrrrr



It was quite chilly here this morning which is not good for this Auntie's old bones. It was 34ºF this morning at 7am. What you can't see clearly in this picture is the house behind mine. Their back yard is covered with a coating of frost, and a low lying cloud/fog is draping them in coldness and their roof is almost white (which is not good as it's a brown roof). Brrrrrr!

Well, Christmas is now officially over, and I stand on the edge of a new year. I wonder what changes 2006 will bring. I've never been one to make resolutions, so I won't start this year, but there are some hopes and dreams buried deep inside which hope to see the light of day. This year literally flew by, and I can only imagine that next year will also. Why is it, the older I get the faster time moves. Maybe it's just that I'm moving slower?

And what's up with this? Did you hear about them adding time this year? As quoted from an article in Linux Electrons.
::Washington, DC – On December 31, 2005 a “leap second” will be added to the world’s clocks at 23 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). This corresponds to 6:59:59 pm Eastern Standard Time, when the extra second will be inserted at the U.S. Naval Observatory. This marks the 23rd leap second to be added to UTC, a uniform time-scale kept by atomic clocks around the world. ::

Now, I'm a little confused here. Does adding a second make time longer/slower, or does it make it shorter/faster? Can't we just leave well enough alone? I think I need to go get another sweet roll and cup of coffee and mull all this over some more. I will get back to you in a few seconds... by that time it will be February '06.

3 comments:

MariesImages said...

Beautiful photo, love early morning photos, you can get some great stuff if you are an early bird!
Marie

Vivian said...

Belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year {{{{{Auntie Lynn}}}}}!! I wonder what that extra second will do too....well, if it gives me an extra second of sleep on those weekdays that I have a hard time getting up for work, then it is a welcome addition ROFL!

Charles said...

that would explain why it seemed like it took forever for work to end. LOL

I think Chris of Inane Thoughts and Insane Ramblings posted the answer on his journal. I think he said that the earth doesn't rotate around the sun exactly 365 days. So they add the extra second do maintain accuracy.

Here is the link!

http://inanethoughtsandinsaneramblings.blogspot.com/2005/12/what-color-are-dinosaurs.html