Friday, June 04, 2004

6/4/04 Homework assignment

Friday, June 4, 2004

Homework assignment

John's homework assignment for this weekend is
"Weekend Assignment #8: Name the book that you feel would best describe you to a total stranger. It could be any book -- a novel, a non-fiction book, a cookbook, or heck, even a textbook (if you're an academic type). The idea, however, is to present a book that would offer up some insight about you as a person.
One restriction: Please refrain from choosing a primary religious text of your religion -- the Bible, Torah, the Koran and so on. The reason I put in this restriction is for the very reason that these texts are no longer listed on bestseller's lists: They're so popular and pervasive that they'll swamp the other books. Let's take as a given that these books are absolutely important to people -- and of course rightfully so -- and set them aside for the purposes of this assignment.
Extra Credit: List a book that someone swore would be a book you would love -- and you didn't.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ok John, here goes. I'm not nearly as avid a reader for the past 8 years or so, I just can't seem to concentrate as consistently. When I was young I used to devour books, all kinds, all subjects. I loved romance, mysteries, biographies, but was never enthused with science fiction.

One of my favorite books when I was younger, was "Mrs. Mike" by Benedict and Nancy Freedman. The book was originally printed in 1948 or 1949, but it is still being printed and read by new readers every year. And many like myself who originally read "Mrs. Mike" when I was 12 or 13, have re-read it again and again. Mrs. Mike was a romance novel about a young Irish woman, Katherine Mary of about 17 who travels from Boston to the northern woods of Canada to be a mail order bride of sorts to Canadian Mounted Policeman, Sgt. Mike Flannigan. The book involves their falling in love and the joys and hardships that all entails; illness, fires, births and deaths, fights and making up. The descriptions of scenery, and animals catches the reader and holds your attention. All in all, I relate to the essential story line that love triumphs in the end. I amof the firm belief that love is the end all and be all to mankind, and to find that person in this world who is your other half is the ultimate satisfaction. To have a spouse who is your best friend, lover, confidant, conspirator, guinnea pig, biggest supporter and best critic is the ultimate in love and life. Katherine Mary and Mike had that romance, and I remember dreaming very early that that was what I wanted, and I am so very blessed to say that was what I had with Bob.

Now for my extra credit Mr. Scalzi:

My niece thought I would really enjoy this book by Dan Brown. I had not read the Da Vinci Code, but I took her word that this was a good read. I have had the book over 6 weeks now, and am only to the middle of the book. I can read one or two paragraphs, then put it down for days and have no desire to pick it back up. I am finding the story line dull, the characters weak and lifeless. Half way thru the book and I just want it to end. This is one that I doubt I will get finished.



lab2401 at 11:17:00 PM EDT Link to this entry
This entry has 1 comments: (Add your own)
    I read that book, Mrs. Mike, I don't remember how old I was, maybe in my early teens, hmm, junior high. Wow, that brings back memories, I'll have to read it again to remember it all.
    Penny
    Comment from lucylouladybug - 6/16/04 2:19 AM

No comments: