Friday, August 27, 2004

8/27/04 untitled

Friday, August 27, 2004


I haven't had any luck with getting my tree taken care of yet, but I am so thankful that it hasn't moved or come down yet.

I've just about had it, calling tree companies, leaving messages and not getting return calls. I know that they are all out straight, but you would think they would have someone return calls. I have contacted about 19 companies and left messages to talk to someone about getting on a list for them to come out and check my tree, have had 2 come out, and heard back from one that will call me when he gets time.

Mom and daddy got their tree down finally, although it is a mess over there. The trunk is about 3 feet up now, and the grounds around it are littered with wood, bark and chips. Part of the trunk they hauled out to the curb is over 3½ feet across. I didn't realize that tree was that large until you see it down. Thank God there was not more damage done when that third came down on the neighbors homes. When I drive around seeing my clients, the area around here looks like a war zone; there is brush everywhere, downed trees and shrubs, collapsed fences, houses with tarps on the roofs. We have been told to haul the brush and trees to the curb, and the county will pick them up. We are not to burn any yard trash. Not sure what is up with that, except the county could make some money by chipping the debris and selling it for mulch. That would recoup some of their losses I guess. I don't really care, as I am not that big on burning anymore since Bob died. Bob always liked to burn yard trash, he would pile it all in a huge burn pile, then at least twice a year we would have a big bonfire. It always made me nervous, but I did enjoy it.

I've been sort of down in the dumps, feeling a little lost for the past week or so. I know that it's probably normal after going thru something like this, but I don't like it. I don't like the feeling of not having control of things here at my home, and not knowing if or when the tree will be taken care of. I worry about the new hurricane sitting out in the Atlantic, I don't know how much wind my tree will take before coming down. I haven't felt much like writing since finally getting back online, but maybe that is what I need to do. I haven't even been on the computer that much. You know the old saying about pulling myself up by my bootstraps and all that. I need to give myself a pep talk to keep on keeping on.

A quote I have over my computer that I need to look at more closely:
The
darker things become, the more God shines!

Just heard from Mom, she said they took down the rest of the tree to the ground yesterday afternoon, and then this morning the stump grinder is there. It's going to cost them $175. to grind the stump, although he says he will take care of the major roots coming off the stump also. He said he normally charges $100. but her stump is so big, and it is very difficult to get his equipment into position. Plus he is trying to make a little to cover his rooming and eating expenses, as he is down here from upper NY area picking up work. My mom doesn't really care any longer, she just wants it done and over, and try to get their lives back to normal. I don't blame her.

Well, time to think about getting out there to work. I think I do feel a little better having written this down finally. Uncle owl is in the garage every day, which is a comfort. My dog and cat are both well, and all of my family is well. There is so much to be thankful for, I feel bad about being so down in the dumps about it all.


lab2401 at 11:01:00 AM EDT Link to this entry
This entry has 3 comments: (Add your own)
I really hope you feel a bit more upbeat soon. It's probably all the trouble with the tree stiring up feelings of too much to worry about. I know about those feelings. So, I'll say......most of the stuff that depressed or worried me wasn't worth a moment of taking away my joy. Do something special for you today. Pick anything. Doesn't have to be a big deal.....maybe rent a movie but I do hope you feel better.
Comment from readmereadyou - 8/27/04 3:38 PM

{{{{Lynda}}}} I remember after living through a hurricane, the weeks after were definitely worse than the actual event. Everything is such a mess and everywhere you turn there are reminders. I am sorry you are feeling down, I hope things start looking better again soon.
Comment from mom23nca - 8/27/04 3:32 PM

I think you are entitled to feeling down when your world gets blown into large chunks of trees down everywhere. It will get better, though it does take time-I know you know this, but sometimes it helps to hear from others, too. Margo
Comment from magogos - 8/27/04 12:24 PM

No comments: