Monday, February 02, 2004

2/2/04 second guessings

Monday, February 2, 2004
second guessings

I spent the better part of yesterday getting S moved from the nursing home to Martha's. This move had been set up for the past week, the physician had come in and signed the D/C paperwork on Wednesday last, written the prescriptions, and supposedly it was good for go for the 1st. I got there yesterday morning at 9:30am and started getting clothes and belongings together (half of S's clothes are being worn by other residents, and she is wearing theirs...oh well), and nurse proceeds to come in ... "Who told you she was leaving today? I don't know anything about that. You will have to wait until I clear this with social services." After what seemed like forever, and S getting more nervous and upset by the minute and fretting the RN came in and said "You are right, she is leaving today." Well, duh, that's why I'm here packing up her belongings and loading up my car. It took forever to get the papers ready, the meds for that day prepared, and to get back to us, but finally at 11:45 we left the nursing facility and made our way on our journey of getting her settled at Martha's.

First stop to the pharmacy for scripts, 13 to be exact. That took 1½ hours to fill which we took advantage of by going out to lunch. We dropped back by the pharmacy and left them a chunk of change in the ammount of $591 for her meds, and at 1:30 we finally found Martha's new place. I am met with 4 steps up to the deck at the front door, the ramp is being built, but is not ready yet. Finally at 3:30, I kissed S goodbye, and left her to get settled in with Martha and her friends there.

I did't get a call from Martha after I left, so I am assuming that S settled down and is managing ok. I will be going there today to see S, and take her some essentials that she is needing. I am constantly second guessing myself that I made the right decision. The new place is not all that accessible to S from her wheelchair, but Martha and her family are always there to assist her. I worry that S might go off the deep end and Martha will decide that she cannot handle her, and that I will have to move S once again. I will have to just cross that bridge when I get to it. At least for now, S is back with Martha which is what she wanted, and is no longer in that nursing home.



lab2401 at 10:06:00 AM EST Link to this entry
This entry has 2 comments: (Add your own)
I'm glad you got her out of the nursing home...You made the right choice. I hope and pray that Martha and S. will coexist in love and harmony. Take care and God bless...Gloria, Kevin's mom
Comment from gbgoglo - 2/2/04 11:34 PM

S is going to be OK, maybe she will keep the nursing home experience forever in her mind, at the very least she won't want to go back soon. I do hope Martha has the gall and the patience to keep her there. As far as you, you made the right decision.... because, it is done. Race
http://journals.aol.com/chapterxxi/Bookkeeper/ updated.
Comment from chapterxxi - 2/2/04 9:41 PM

No comments: