Saturday, November 19, 2005

11/19/05 One more thought

Saturday, November 19, 2005

One more thought

I am so very sorry that AOL just doesn't seem to get it.

It's not only the advertisements. It's not even the dysfunction. For me it's that after all these years (1996) I just don't matter any longer. My loyalty to a company who has had their share of problems, who have placated me with assurances of improved and better, have fallen so short of their promises. Like many other large corporations in this world, their answer seems to be, "like it or leave it, no skin off our nose". They are telling me that I am only a small pebble that makes up their mountain, but what they don't seem to understand is that it takes many of us pebbles to make that mountain.

They are proving to me that I don't matter. They are telling me that all of us who pay AOL for service, don't really matter. They own the space, and they apparently feel that it is their right to decorate it how ever they want to, and as a renter, I have to put up with it or leave.

For many years, I leased a vehicle. Thank God that Ford Motor Corporation did not adopt AOL's point of view, or I would have been driving a banner that flashed, "Ford -- Built for the Road Ahead" or some other crap. As it is, I do not leave the dealer advertisement on my vehicle when I purchase one. I request that the dealers name/plate be removed, and if it leaves any hole where it has been riveted on, I will not accept the car and will go to another dealer.

By not responding to my emails, or my comments, or my calls, AOL is saying to me... "Go ahead and complain Auntie Lyn, you don't matter! Leave if you don't like it! You will not be missed! There are 10 more Auntie Lyn's out there to take your place." I know where I'm not wanted or needed, so... So long guys!

Hope you choke on your precious ads, and the disrespect you have treated the whole J-land community with sits like a knot in your gut.
This Auntie is out of here!


I am posting this to my new home...
lynda's lullaby 2




lab2401 at 10:33:00 AM EST Link to this entry

This entry has 4 comments: (Add your own)
    Lyn, wonderfully written!
    Hugs,
    V
    Comment from deabvt - 11/20/05 11:49 AM

    AOL may own the space (or more specifically, the software and the servers that make the space available to you at a premium price) but they do not own your thoughts, your ideas, your words--and that is what makes the space valuable and saleable to advertisers. I question whether it is even legal for AOL to sell those things (because that's what they are doing) without your agreement. Since they are not paying you for them, I don't see how they can be their property to sell.
    Comment from elleme2 - 11/19/05 4:13 PM


    It couldn't have been said better, Auntie Lyn.

    For many of us, it's not the ads alone that is the problem; it's the long string of straws they've hurled at us, and it just so happens that the ads happen to be -- literally -- the last one.

    Patrick
    http://patricks-place.blogspot.com/
    Comment from pattboy92 - 11/19/05 4:10 PM

    Well said.

    Peace, Virginia
    Comment from ecori - 11/19/05 11:10 AM

No comments: