Saturday, November 26, 2005

Cutting Ties


Cutting Ties...

it's a hard concept for me to accept...
a hard task for me to accomplish.

I called the 800-827-3338 phone number for AOL help, and when you say the words "cancel my membership" you are directed rather quickly to a human voice. I spoke with Jimmy, who was very polite, and wanted to know if there was any way he could help me reconsider? And no, he was not aware that the journal part of AOL had included flashing ad's on our private paid for monthly journals. Could I please describe how I felt that could be enough to cancel my subscription to AOL. When I ran through my rant on AOL and it's lack of customer *SERVICE* Jimmy said that he was sorry I felt that way, but he could take care of the cancellation immediately. My AOL is officially ending on 12/3. I then called my cable company and was immediately connected to road runner for the same amount of money. I had been using Outlook Express for mail with my AOL for the past month or so, and prior to that used AOL Communicator for 2 years. I normally use Firefox for my browser as I like it better anyway. I can create an AIM account for myself, and stay in contact with my AOL buddies that way. I joined PLAXO last week in anticipation of notifying my buddies of address changes, so I think I have my bases covered for now.

Now to the sad part... I have been a member since August 1997 (I found out today the exact time). I have put up with their incompetence with support, their promises of changes, and their assurances of good things happening, and stayed because it was easier to stay than leave, or so I thought. They have neglected to address issues that I have raised with them, and always point the finger away from themselves. It's never them, never their problems, never their issues. I am no longer their problem or concern.
Just one more that left AOL,
Auntie Lyn


3 comments:

jennifer said...

It is hard to leave something that had been such a part in our development. But you're right; if it's not one thing, it's another, and it's never their fault or their doing. And they have us doing backflips trying to fix on our end what usually ends up being a problem on theirs.

Customer service indeed.

Virginia said...

Congratulations on being willing to embrace change.
Peace, Virginia

Smukke said...

Gratz on cutting the apron strings. I am just letting mine run through one more cycle so I am sure I got my e-mail address changed on all my BILLS. Already archived & deleted the journal on the day that the ads showed up. I did not want AOL to make one penny off anybody even accidentally clicking or 'viewing' something on a page that I was paying for. As I posted on stupidsheet's new outside-AOL blogsite, the one nice thing about this whole mess is that I've found some fun new blogs to read :)