Tuesday, December 16, 2003

12/16/03 there, but..

Tuesday, December 16, 2003
there, but..
I have recently (this past July) taken on a responsibility that I never anticipated would become that big of a deal. I have a friend, whom I first became acquainted with by way of giving her physical therapy. She was alone, living in a senior assisted living facility when we first met. My heart went out to her, as she had no family left, she had buried both husbands, and had buried her only child a son, in 1986.
When I first met S, it had only been 2-2½ years since Bob had died, and I related deeply to her situation. You know the old saying: "there, but for the grace of God, go I". I kept in touch with S, and began doing little things for her that needed to be done. Her eyesight was worsening to the point that she could barely write her name, and her hearing and mental acuity was rapidly declining.
I would do little things for her like writing out her bills, keeping her books, picking up little goodies from the stores, and making sure that her doctor appointments were being kept. She had asked me at the beginning of the summer if I would become her power of attorney/health care surrogate, as I was her trusted friend, and I was her only contact with the outside world. Without giving much thought to all of the responsibilities that go with this legal document, I agreed.
Needless to say, there have been issues since that signing: S's diminishing mental status, a fire at the home where she was living, ill health and hospitalization, and placement in a skilled nursing facility. I am overwhelmed at the decisions that are required of me, and at the depth of my emotions as I make these decisions.
Even though S had a living will, the issues that we faced were not addressed in that particular document, and I was being asked to make 'cut and dry' decisions on a legal level with an emotional attachment that surprised me. It has caused me to do some deep thinking about my own mortality, and the wishes that I would want to be carried out should those circumstances arise.


lab2401 at 10:49:00 AM EST Link to this entry
This entry has 1 comments: (Add your own)

No comments: