Friday, January 16, 2004

1/16/04 more pictures of my owl

Friday, January 16, 2004
more pictures of my owl

">I went out and got a few more pictures of my owl in the garage yesterday. For those who asked: no, he is not a pet, he is a wild owl. I don't know why he started coming to my garage in the first place, but I am happy he is out there. Owls tend to eat rodents which is fine by me. But there is a down side to having an owl in the garage and that is the mess that he creates. The non digestible parts of the bugs and rodents he eats are expelled in a rather large pellet that he regurgitates, and the other waste is expelled in rather large messy droppings.

A few interesting facts about the Eastern Screech Owl. The usually mate for life, although they will take another mate if their first one disappears or dies. The mother owl takes care of the babies, and daddy is the main food source for his family. They hunt while in flight, and eat mamals such as field/deer mice, chipmunks, small birds, etc. They also eat insects and grubs. They tend to get to 7½ to 8 inches in length, and weigh between 7 and 8 oz. at full maturity. I don't have a name for my baby, but I tend to think his name is Robert.



lab2401 at 9:45:00 AM EST Link to this entry
This entry has 5 comments: (Add your own)
    Wow, that is something. And the eyes are so expressive. The Owl isn't afraid of you? You've got an interesting journal.

    http://journals.aol.com/mnaselli/TheSchoolOfHardKnocks
    Comment from mnaselli - 1/21/04 10:11 PM

    You owl is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Wow! I'd definitely keep a bird that lovely regardless of the mess he makes. LOL! GORGEOUS!

    Gregg
    Comment from itsjustusinnc - 1/18/04 2:30 AM

    I think your owl is alot prettier than mine....maybe we should get together and mate em, who knows baby owls....sounds cool to me!
    http://journals.aol.com/bernmilo/WAYNEATOPICTURES
    Comment from bernmilo - 1/17/04 12:54 AM

    These are great shots of your owl! Plus, the owl tidbits are interesting. Mate for life, huh? That's totally cool. Thanks for sharing "Robert".
    Comment from aiibrat - 1/16/04 4:23 PM

    Excellent pics of your new friend! That is just something! I thought watching the hummingbirds at my mom's was "new", but this is really neat! Its one of the things I hear about and read in books but never actually saw pics of someone that had one. Thank you for sharing! - Sheila
    Comment from shooser1 - 1/16/04 11:26 AM

No comments: